Specialist manufacturer Tor Coatings moves up a gear with K8 Manufacturing
|nicola.mullen 17/03/2017 14:43:25
“The support has always been professional and our on-going relationship and service experience continues to be excellent” Jan Roberts, Customer Service Manager
Durham-based Tor Coatings is one of the UK's leading manufacturers of specialist protective coatings for buildings, producing both their own range and contracted customer branded products. Established more than 30 years ago, the company operates a single production facility with multiple sales outlets supplying customers across the UK and internationally.
The Tor K8 Manufacturing story began when the company’s management team concluded that their disparate legacy systems and in-house PC-based tools were no longer adequate for the business. Incomplete, inaccurate and out-of-date information was impacting on decision-making and any system maintenance tasks necessitated backups during working hours which was a major issue. Furthermore, the parent company required improvements in financial performance reporting and there were also numerous hardware capacity and performance issues. Having been introduced to Tor, Datawright investigated the company’s business requirements and formed an understanding of the current issues relating to their existing systems and processes. The business was growing and the need for a new integrated system was apparent. Given the go-ahead to proceed with the implementation of K8 Manufacturing, Datawright deployed their business process mapping programme to confirm the specification of the system set up, the modules that would to be introduced first and detailed user training requirements. A successful go-live resulted and the benefits soon began to flow.
Gains and benefits
- Configured to suit the business’s manufacturing and sales processes
- Complete control of raw materials, production and finished stock
- Improved warehouse management work flow
- Purchasing more accurate to reflect sales order requirements
- Opportunities to extend system use for greater cost/margin control
- Pro-active business management – reduced manual input
- Future proof - turn on additional functionality
- Platform to accommodate business growth